Believe us – we understand that entering into a yoga studio as a student for the first time can be overwhelming!
Far from feeling relaxed and de-stressed, you might have a hundred questions swirling around in your mind:
- What if you don’t have the right equipment?
- What will everyone else be wearing?
- What if you mess up and everybody sees?
- What if you don’t know what you’re doing?
- What if you're worried about how your body will look as you move around?
- What if you can’t keep up, or if you don’t understand what’s happening?
- What if you have this injury, and that might keep you from doing what everyone else is doing?
That's just the beginning, of course, our personal insecurities and past experience with yoga will both influence the anxieties that crop up.
What it takes for you to get to your first class is a willingness to be vulnerable. To put aside the “what ifs” and have the courage to try something new. One of our hopes in offering yoga in Astoria is to help you
“Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.”
Whatever your reasons for wanting give yoga a try, if you can approach your first yoga class in Astoria without trying to be perfect, chances are the class will go a lot better for you than anticipated. You see, we all start somewhere. And not knowing how to do something doesn’t mean that you are a bad person or that something is wrong with you.
What it means is that you don’t know how to do something. And it’s our job to teach you!
Our beginning level class happens weekly so you can come on a consistent basis, for as long as you like, and learn the ropes of what it’s like to move your body in the context of yoga. You WON’T know what you are doing at first, and that’s GREAT! We hope to teach you in a manner that is safe for your body, informative and that allows for lots of questions and self exploration along the way.
Our beginning level classes all include:
- Help on how to sit comfortably – more difficult than it sounds!
- Some introduction to breath work and linking movement with breath – one of the foundations to healthy, lifelong yoga practice.
- Basic yoga postures (called asanas) that will help you gain strength, balance and flexibility – all with plenty of instructions to help you adapt each exercise to your particular body state.
- A solid introduction to yoga movement for those who want to continue on to more advanced classes. We want you will grow as a yoga student for many years with Watershed Wellness!
If you’d like this class to be offered at a different time, let us know what works for you! We’ll do our best to accommodate schedules as we figure out what works for most people in our new community./?php // If comments are open or we have at least one comment, load up the comment template //if ( comments_open() || '0' != get_comments_number() ) : // comments_template(); //endif; //?>