Massage therapy is much more than just a luxury or a frivolous spa treatment. At Watershed, we combine therapeutic massage principles with an overall relaxation focus that we find to be very effective in bringing about both stress and pain relief in a wide variety of conditions. Learn more about massage using the resources on this page!
The Watershed Massage integrates our knowledge of various modalities and many years of experience to create the massage that is perfect for you. Your needs aren’t constant, and we happily adapt to whatever you are needing for that session
Deep tissue massage focuses on the deeper muscles in the body, as its name implies. While it may take more pressure to engage these muscles, it is possible to receive a deep tissue massage without pain. The goal of deep tissue massage is to reduce the restrictions of the less superficial muscles of the body in order to increase range of motion and promote easy, free movement.
Swedish massage is considered the classic massage that promotes relaxation. It has five distinct strokes that are intended to promote venous return, or returning the blood back to the heart. Swedish massage is intended to provide total body relaxation and restoration of healthy muscle tissues.
Trigger point massage is a general term that describes the release of “trigger points” using a variety of techniques. A trigger point is a very tender spot in a muscle that often causes referred pain and tension to another part of the body.
Shiatsu is an Asian form of bodywork that is designed to promote the harmonious flow of Qi (chi/Ki) throughout the body. It involves rocking, stretching and pressure points.
Useful Information about Your Massage Appointment
Latest Articles About Massage
- Free yoga for all furloughed federal workers at the Watershed Wellness movement studio
- September Shoulder Love
- New Monthly Focus: Forward Folds, and a reintro to our Astoria yoga studio
- WW Podcast episode 13 – Eric & Amanda talk about non-judgment in holistic healthcare
- A little tour of our new yoga and natural medicine space in Astoria, Oregon
- New to Massage at Watershed Wellness in Astoria?
- Watershed Wellness has a new home for healthcare in Astoria Oregon